Harford Vineyard & Winery offers the ONLY Mobile Velcorin Services throughout the Eastern United States!
What is Velcorin?
- Velcorin® is the trade name for dimethyldicarbonate (DMDC), a microbial control agent produced by LANXESS®. Since 1988, Velcorin has been used in the United States in wine, low-alcohol wine, and non-alcoholic wine as well as juice, juice sparklers, sports drinks, and ready-to-drink teas. Velcorin is very effective at low dosages against a broad range of yeast, bacteria and molds. Unlike other chemical preservatives, Velcorin is non-persistent and does not affect wine taste, bouquet or color. In addition, Velcorin can remain active for several hours (depending on hydrolysis rate) thereby helping to eliminate contamination from other sources such as bottles, closures and filling equipment.
The use of Velcorin is approved for a wide range of beverages around the globe:
- Still or carbonated fruit-based beverages
- Isotonic sports beverages
- Iced teas
- Flavoured waters
- Ciders & Perrys
Velcorin can be used in the following applications: (Wines)
- To help prevent refermentation in finished wines. Wines containing residual sugar are susceptible to fermentation in the bottle which can lead to haze, off-odors, off-flavors and effervescence. Adding Velcorin to wine during bottling can help prevent refermentation. Also, Velcorin can be used to replace or decrease the amount of sorbate which is sometimes used in wines containing residual sugar.
- To control spoilage yeast such as Brettanomyces (especially in unfiltered or moderately filtered wines). Brettanomyces is able to metabolize sugars including cellobiose from toasted barrels, leading to the evolution of 4-ethylphenol and other undesirable sensory attributes. In this application, Velcorin can be used either in the cellar or at the time of bottling.
- To decrease the amount of sulfur dioxide used in wines. Sulfur dioxide used in combination with Velcorin has been shown to achieve microbial stability at lower overall sulfur dioxide levels.
- To reduce warehouse holding time in early-to-market wines. Velcorin can be used to decrease the amount of sulfur dioxide and/or decrease the degree of filtration. These wines undergo speedier sulfur dioxide equilibration and less bottle-shock. They are therefore palatable sooner and can be released earlier.
Not sure if product is compatible?
- Visit Scott Labs Velcorin Pageto test product compatibility below
- For Scott Labs Brochure on Velcorin in Wine please click link below
For more information on Velcorin and its uses please follow links below:
FOR MORE INFORMATION & PRICING PLEASE EMAIL